Brooklyn Slip and Fall Attorney
While slipping, tripping, or falling is sometimes an honest mistake, it can also be caused by dangerous or poorly maintained property. Victims of slip and fall incidences commonly experience ongoing physical and financial complications which have a devastating impact on their overall health and ability to work. For this reason, property owners have a duty to keep their premises reasonably maintained and safe. If a dangerous property is to blame for a slip and fall accident, the victim can file an injury claim against the responsible party to recover compensation for their losses.
Unfortunately, there is no shortage of safety hazards in Brooklyn. If you are a slip and fall victim and suffered injuries as a result, speak with an attorney about your situation. The experienced Brooklyn slip and fall lawyers at David Resnick & Associates, P.C. have successfully recovered millions of dollars for slip and fall injury clients, including $1,000,000 for a victim who fell in a building with defective stair lighting.
Though a fair settlement or verdict can’t turn back time, financial compensation can make sure that you have the resources necessary to pay your medical expenses and support yourself and those you love. To discuss your accident with an experienced Brooklyn injury attorney at David Resnick & Associates, P.C., contact us today for a free consultation.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injuries
In the immediate aftermath of an accident (if you are able), make sure to take pictures of property conditions, get statements from eyewitnesses, and file an accident report with the property manager. Taking these steps could help your case later on.
The following hazards are common causes of accidents of pedestrians:
- Snow and Ice – Brooklyn winters are long. Any sleet, slush, and icy surfaces can make getting from point A to point B quite dangerous. City officials require that property owners keep public areas clear of ice and snow. This requires regular and prompt maintenance. Failure to heed these state and city regulations puts pedestrians and other guests in danger.
- Uneven Sidewalks and Pavements – Well-worn walking paths can break down and become vulnerable to deterioration and cracking. When this happens, defects and divots in the surface become a common tripping hazard.
- Slick Flooring – Whether from a beverage spill, cleaning agent, or another liquid substance, slick flooring needs to be tended to promptly or have adequate signage warning guests to practice additional caution.
- Stair Defects – Slip and fall staircase accidents are extremely dangerous and can leave victims with broken bones, head injuries, spinal injuries, partial or total paralysis. As such, any staircase with uneven stairs, poor railing, inadequate lighting, or compromised structural integrity needs to be dealt with promptly.
- Insufficient Lighting or dark property – When a property lacks adequate lighting, people are unable to see obstacles and move around safely.
- Torn Rugs, Carpeting, Floor Covering – Any unsecured floor covering is a tripping hazard. When a rug, carpet, or protective floor covering is ripped or defective it creates additional obstacles for guests on property.
Who is Responsible for Slip and Fall Injuries in Brooklyn?
The party liable for your injury will depend on who is responsible for maintaining the property where the incident occurred. For accidents on city sidewalks, it may be your natural inclination to assume the city is responsible. However, according to New York City Administrative Code Section 7-210, the business or property owner that abuts the sidewalk is generally responsible for maintaining it.
In the rare instance that the city is responsible for the maintenance of a stretch of the sidewalk, New York City Administrative Code section 7-201 indicates that the injured party must prove that, prior to the injury, the city had received written notice about the defect and failed to act. If you are injured inside of a market or other business, the business will likely be the responsible party.
It’s important to note that as an injury victim in a slip and fall case, the other party may argue that you shoulder some blame for your injury. This is referred to as comparative negligence. If it can be successfully proven that you weren’t paying adequate attention to your surroundings, you were trespassing, you ignored warning signs, or your clothing put you at an increased risk of a slip and fall accident, then it could hurt your overall case.
Injuries Caused by Fall Accidents
The severity of injuries that victims may suffer in a slip and fall accidents are influenced by a couple of factors. Your age, your general health, where you fell, how you fell, and your access to prompt medical attention all influence how successful or arduous the recovery process will be. Some commonly reported slip and fall accidents include:
- Sprains and lacerations
- Fractures and broken bones
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Wrongful death
When your injuries are caused by the carelessness of another person, New York state allows three years from the date of an injury to file a claim. Though you have three calendar years, it is recommended that you take action as soon as possible. The timeline of each case is different, but the sooner you take action the sooner you can expect to receive compensation for your losses. Additionally, if you have lost a loved one because of a slip and fall injury, you have two years from the date of death to file a wrongful death claim.
Types of Slip and Fall Compensation Available
The financial impact of an injury can be devastating for the victim and their family. If you have been hurt due to the negligence of a property owner or manager, you could be eligible to pursue compensation for:
- Medical Bills – Past, present, and ongoing medical expenses are an enormous expense for Brooklyn injury victims. A lawyer can calculate what you’ve already paid out-of-pocket and project future expenses to help you compensate you for losses.
- Lost Wages – Whether an injury forces you to miss work while your recovering or hampers your ability to return to work at all, your settlement or verdict should reflect the damage that your injury has caused your ability to earn.
- Pain and suffering – Based on the severity of your injury and how it has impacted your life, you may be able to collect compensation based on how much suffering your injury has caused.
When pursuing compensation, our Brooklyn slip and fall lawyers fight for the maximum amount that you deserve.
How Our Brooklyn Slip & Fall Attorneys Can Help
If you are suffering from a slip and fall injury, the help of a lawyer can provide you with the support that you need to get through this difficult time. The lawyers at David Resnick & Associates, P.C. will:
- Evaluate your case – We will listen to your story and will advise you of your legal options.
- Investigate – Our team will thoroughly investigate the accident and will gather corroborating evidence, like security footage and other documentation, to further support your case.
- Determine Responsibility – We can help confirm which entity is responsible for your injuries, whether it’s a property manager, property owner, a governmental entity, or any other responsible party.
- Calculate Losses – We will look at the past, current, and future damage that your injury has caused in order to determine how much compensation to pursue.
- Fight for Compensation – Whether we are able to get a settlement that is satisfactory, or if we need to take your case to court, we are committed to getting the best possible outcome for you.
Our office is located in Manhattan, but we serve clients across New York City, that includes Brooklyn of course. We are a small firm which allows us to give personalized one-on-one attention to each case. Entrusting your case to a slip and fall lawyer can be difficult, but through our and unwavering commitment, we will provide your case with the compassion and attention that it deserves.
Neighborhoods in Brooklyn
Though slip and fall injuries can occur in the blink of an eye, they can leave victims grappling with pain, medical expenses, and losses for years to come. Our slip and fall injury lawyers serve accident victims in Brooklyn neighborhoods.
The team at David Resnick & Associates, P.C. has been fighting for injury victims in the greater New York City area for over twenty years. Within this period of time, we have recovered over 60 million dollars in verdicts and settlements. Injuries have a way of changing every facet of a victim’s life including their physical ability, enjoyment of life, financial stability, and future professional prospects. We are proud to serve both English and Spanish-speaking members of the community and support local veterans through annual grants.
Contact a Slip and Fall Attorney to Handle Your Case
In the aftermath of an accident, you may be feeling discouraged, overwhelmed, and unsure of the next steps to take. If a property owner has failed to maintain their property, you have options. Reach out to a personal injury lawyer to discuss what you’ve endured and how you may benefit from legal support.
The lawyers at David Resnick & Associates, P.C. have recovered compensation for injury victims when they find themselves on the losing end of someone else’s negligence. Call our office today at (212) 279-2000 to have your case evaluated by a seasoned legal professional.