Four people were injured recently in Brooklyn after a 24-foot truck crashed into a sedan, reports the Daily News. The car then flew onto the sidewalk and smashed into a light pole. The truck, meanwhile, jumped the curb and crashed into three cars for sale at an auto mall.
Firefighters had to peel off the sedan’s roof off to rescue the driver, who was sent to the hospital in critical condition.
In 2011, there were 307,550 motor vehicle crashes in New York State. Of those, 257,066 were reported to police, according to the Department of Motor Vehicles’ “Summary of Motor Vehicle Crashes” for that year.
According to the report, the top four causes of accidents were:
- Driver inattention/distraction — 19.4 percent or 49,917 accidents
- Following too closely — 16.2 percent or 42,700 accidents
- Failure to yield right-of-way — 15.3 percent or 39,417 accidents
- Speeding — 10.7 percent or 27,547 accidents
Accident rates varied by day of the week:
- The largest number of accidents — 51,808 — occurred on Fridays.
- The fewest accidents — 33,846 — happened on Sundays.
- Monday through Friday, most accidents occurred between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- On Saturdays and Sundays, most accidents happened between noon and 3 p.m.
New York City Car Accident Lawyers
In New York City, 274 people died as a result of motor vehicle accidents in 2012, and thousands more were injured, according to the New York City Department of Transportation. Many of these accidents occurred because of someone’s negligence.
If you or a family member has suffered because of someone’s negligent driving, you need a skilled New York City car accident lawyer on your side. The law firm of David Resnick & Associates, P.C., has extensive experience representing people who have been seriously injured in car accidents. Send us a quick message today.