NYC Handrail Accidents
Slip and fall accidents involving stairways or handrails can result in NYC handrail accidents with serious injuries that cause a victim to suffer physically, emotionally and financially for years to come. Some slip and fall accidents on stairs cause fatal injuries.
NYC Handrail Accidents
Many accidents involving stairs, handrails or steps are the result of negligent conduct on the part of the property owner or renter. Some scenarios that may form the basis for a staircase or handrail slip and fall accident lawsuit include:
- Slipping on stairs that do not have the proper tread on them.
- Missing a step on stairs because the area was poorly lit and you could not see the stairs.
- Falling through stairs because the stairs were not properly constructed.
- Tripping on stairs because the underlying material has not been properly maintained, causing rotting boards or crumbling cement.
- Grabbing a handrail that gives way because it was not installed or maintained properly.
- Falling because no handrail was installed when one should have been.
- Tripping over objects left on stairs.
Who is Responsible for a Fall Accident Involving a Staircase or Handrail?
Slip and fall accidents fall under the broader area of the law known as “premises liability.” Premises liability addresses accidents and injuries to someone who was on the property of another person or entity. Falling down your own stairs, for example, would not come under the purview of premises liability.
In New York, property owners (and in some cases renters of property or other parties in control of a property) have a duty to exercise reasonable care to prevent harm to people on the property.
Someone who is injured in a staircase slip and fall accident while on the property of another could be entitled to compensation. It is best to have your case evaluated by an experienced New York City premises liability attorney to determine whether you have a claim.
If you or someone you love was seriously injured in a New York staircase accident or handrail accident and someone else was at fault, you could be entitled to compensation. The slip and fall injury attorneys at David Resnick & Associates, P.C., are skilled at evaluating staircase and handrail accident claims and have a record of results for their clients.
Call our firm today at 866.210.7535 or use our online contact form for a free evaluation of your case.