NY Knee Injury Claim
Knee injuries can limit mobility and cause significant pain. Surgical correction is often required, and a knee injury can make working difficult. Those who suffer knee injuries in falls may experience financial hardship due to medical expenses and lost income, but these costs may be covered through a NY knee injury claim if the fall was caused by the dangerous condition of someone else’s property.
At David Resnick & Associates, P.C., our attorneys have represented many clients with serious knee injuries from falls in New York City. We have solid legal knowledge of slip and fall cases and a network of experts who can help prove the extent of losses caused by the damage to the knee.
Call today or fill out our online contact form to set up a free consultation for answers to important questions such as:
- What kinds of knee injuries can result from a slip and fall accident claim?
- What must I prove to recover compensation for a fall-related knee injury?
- What kinds of compensation could I receive when a fall injures my knee?
Knee Injuries Frequently Suffered in Fall
Falls are a common cause of injuries to the knee, which is the largest joint in the body and crucial to a person’s ability to walk. Some types of knee injuries include:
- Knee sprains (ligament stretching or tears)
- Tears to the cartilage or meniscus
- Strains (damage to the muscles and tendons resulting from hyperflexion or hyperextension)
- Inflammation of the bursas (bursitis)
- ACL tears (a tear in the anterior cruciate ligament)
- Bone fracture (a broken kneecap, femur, tibia or fibia)
- Dislocation of the kneecap
- Dislocation of the knee joint.
These and many other kinds of injuries can give rise to a civil lawsuit seeking compensation for losses caused by knee damage sustained in a fall on someone else’s property in New York City.
The key question that determines whether you can make a slip and fall claim is whether the negligence or wrongdoing of another party was the direct cause of harm to your knee.
Recovering Damages for a Knee Injury in a New York City Fall Accident
You may be able to hold another person or entity liable for the costs of your knee injury if you can show that:
- The defendant was responsible for causing your knee injury.
- The injury occurred as a direct result of the defendant failing to live up to an obligation you were owed.
- The injury has caused you to suffer losses, including such things as medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
Some examples of parties that could be responsible for a knee injury in a fall include:
- A store owner
- A government agency tasked with maintaining a walkway
- A restaurant or hotel owner
- Someone who owns a private home or rents an apartment.
To recover damages, you will need to present evidence that the defendant fell short of meeting safety obligations. Evidence may include things such as an accident report, maintenance records, witness statements and expert testimony to show how the defendant did something negligent and how this carelessness was a direct cause of the injury to your knee.
A New York injury lawyer at David Resnick & Associates, P.C., can help you secure the necessary evidence, including finding experts, subpoenaing witnesses or petitioning the court to obtain the property owner’s maintenance records. The goal is to demonstrate how the defendant failed you in a way that was the direct cause of your knee injury.
Types of Compensation for Knee Injuries in Falls
The compensation you receive for a knee injury in a slip and fall claim may vary depending on how badly you were hurt, the cost of treatment and whether your injury was permanent.
You may be compensated for past and future medical bills, pain and suffering, emotional distress, lost income and more.
For example, the average cost for an ACL surgery is almost $12,000, and you may need ongoing treatment and care including physical therapy and pain-management solutions. Other types of knee injuries may be more or less expensive to treat depending on how badly you were harmed and what medical intervention is necessary.
NY Knee Injury Claim
You may require an expert to testify as to the extent of the damage to your knee and the estimated ongoing and future costs of medical care your knee injury will require.
An attorney at David Resnick & Associates, P.C., can help you maximize the compensation you recover after a knee injury in a fall accident in New York City. Call or contact us online today for a free claim review and consultation about your legal options.