Car Accident Checklist
After a car accident, you may feel a bit rattled. Understandably, you may not be doing your clearest thinking. But there are specific steps that you need to take after a car accident to protect yourself, whether it’s a minor fender bender or a multi-car collision. An experienced New York car accident lawyer can guide you.
The legal team of David Resnick & Associates, P.C., understands the disruption that a serious car accident can have on you and your family. We have guided many families in the NYC area through their recovery from a car accident. We work diligently to see that you obtain the resources you need to recover fully if you’ve been injured by the carelessness of another driver.
If you need a NYC accident lawyer, or you’re unclear whether your situation requires legal representation by an experienced attorney, contact David Resnick & Associates, P.C., online or call us at 212-279-2000.
Steps to Take After a NYC Car Crash
Here is a list of important steps to take to protect yourself and your legal rights after a New York car accident.
- Safety first – Stop your vehicle and turn off your engine. Make sure it is safe to get out of your car. If the car poses a safety threat to other traffic, move cars to the side of the road, out of the way of oncoming traffic. Use hazard lights, flares or safety triangles. Try to determine if anyone involved in the accident needs medical assistance. If the car cannot be moved or if you are injured, stay in the car with your seat belt fastened.
- Contact NYPD – Call 911 to notify police of your accident. Emergency 911 service is available throughout New York City, including Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, Brooklyn and the Bronx. The police will arrange for an ambulance if needed.
- Exchange info – Exchange contact and insurance information with the other motorists involved in the accident. Get the name, address, phone number, employer, work phone number, insurance company, insurance policy number, driver’s license number and license plate number for the driver and owner of each vehicle. If the driver’s name is different from the name of the insured, understand what the relationship is and jot down the name and address for each individual. Be sure to get the make, model, color and year of each car.
- Document the accident – Take notes about the accident and, if possible, take photographs with your cell phone or a camera. As soon as possible, write down the time and place, the weather and road conditions. Draw a diagram showing the position of the vehicles involved in the accident and the direction that each vehicle was travelling. This type of record keeping is for the purpose of potential litigation. You should give it only to your personal injury lawyer.
- Find witnesses – Try to get the names and contact information for any witnesses who saw the accident. They may be able to help if other drivers dispute your description of how the accident happened.
- Don’t admit fault – Do not make any comments about how the accident happened or whose fault you think it was, unless a police officer is questioning you. You may have the best of intentions, but any comments you make may be used against you when your accident lawyer seeks to settle the case or if there is a trial.
- Seek medical help – If you are not taken from the accident by ambulance, be sure to visit an emergency room or doctor for a checkup. Even if you don’t feel hurt, go to your doctor for an evaluation. People in car accidents often develop aches and pains days later.
- File an accident report – You should file a state vehicle accident report, which is available at police stations or online at the Department of Motor Vehicles website. Report the accident to your insurance company, even if you think the other driver is at fault. To protect your rights to insurance coverage, your insurance company is entitled to be notified by you about the accident, any injuries to you or other passengers and damage to the car.
- Consult a lawyer – Call an experienced NY car accident lawyer to understand your legal rights and legal options. Then you can make informed decisions. The attorneys of David Resnick & Associates, P.C., will analyze the facts regarding your claim, work with your insurance company and doctors, prepare legal documents and negotiate a fair settlement.
Get Help From Our New York Car Accident Lawyers
The lawyers of David Resnick & Associates, P.C., understand the disruption that a serious car accident can have on your life. We have helped many families in Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, Brooklyn and the Bronx move forward after a car accident. We work hard to see that you obtain the resources you need to recover fully if you’ve been injured by the negligence or fault of another driver.
At David Resnick & Associates, P.C., we offer a free initial evaluation of your claim, and our NYC auto accident attorneys will negotiate a prompt, fair and just settlement or fight aggressively to ensure that you receive full maximum compensation in accordance with the law. Call 212-279-2000 today or fill out our online contact form.