Car Accident Attorneys for Ocean Hill, Brooklyn
A serious car accident can be a life-changing event. The fallout often includes painful injuries, expensive medical bills, damage to your car, and mental scars that may linger for years afterward. If you were not to blame for the accident, you should not be stuck with the medical bills and car repair costs.
One step you may take to help yourself recover from a major car accident is to file a claim against the at-fault driver, seeking compensation for your losses. But if you’re in pain after an auto accident, you’re in no condition to wage a legal battle on your own against an insurance company. Get help from a committed, compassionate Ocean Hill car accident lawyer.
The Ocean Hill personal injury lawyers at David Resnick & Associates will work with you one-on-one to evaluate your claim, gather the necessary evidence, and pursue a settlement that fully reflects your losses. Our staff speaks both English and Spanish, and we have special outreach programs for area veterans. Schedule a free initial consultation with an Ocean Hill, Brooklyn car accident attorney today by calling (212) 279-2000 or visiting our contact page.
Ocean Hill Personal Injury Areas of Practice
Some of the types of accident claims we handle include:
- Drunk driving—Drunk driving is a serious problem in New York, including in Ocean Hill and other areas of Brooklyn. Statistics from the state’s 2019 Highway Safety Annual Report show that 307 people died and another 5,340 people were injured in alcohol-related crashes in the previous year. Drunk drivers have slowed reflexes and reaction times. Their cognitive function is impaired. In cases of severe intoxication, a driver may pass out while behind the wheel. All of these factors make it more likely that a drunk driver will cause an accident.
- Driving while impaired by drugs—Drivers impaired by drugs are a major problem in New York. It is a significant enough issue that recent traffic safety reports classify drug-related crashes separately from drunk driving accidents. The 2019 Highway Safety Annual Report showed that 314 people died in drug-related crashes in 2018, a 34 percent increase from 2017. The report also showed that police made 41,331 arrests for impaired driving in 2018. Different drugs have different effects on drivers. Even some prescription medications can have dangerous side effects. Drivers should be sure that any prescription medicine they are taking does not impair their ability to operate a vehicle safely.
- Distracted driving—While new technology has helped make cars safer, there are many potential distractions for drivers. Making a phone call, texting while driving, programing the navigation system, and other technology-related distractions all make it harder for a driver to keep his or her focus on the road. At 60 mph, a driver who takes their eyes off the road will travel the length of an entire football field. That’s more than enough time and distance for an accident to happen because the driver wasn’t paying attention.
- Speeding—The faster a car is going when an accident happens, the greater the force of impact and the more likely it is that somebody will be seriously hurt or killed. Speeding is an incredibly dangerous driving behavior. A driver who is speeding has less time to recognize a potential crash and take steps to avoid it.
- Aggressive driving—When a driver makes abrupt lane changes, fails to use turn signals properly, runs a red light, or brakes suddenly without warning, their driving behavior can lead to accidents. A driver may speed up to try to make it through an intersection before the light changes. This aggressive behavior can cause a collision with another driver entering the intersection.
- Rear-end collisions—It’s the responsibility of drivers who are following other motorists to allow enough space to stop safely. Many drivers follow too closely, however, leading to rear-end collisions. Even at relatively low speeds, rear-end collisions can lead to serious injuries such as whiplash that can linger for months and disrupt the injured person’s life.
- T-Bone accidents—Side-impact collisions are especially dangerous because cars have much less protection on the sides to absorb the impact of a collision. This can leave accident victims with serious injuries to the head, neck, spine, and other sensitive areas.
All car accidents are different, and no matter what happened in your situation, we want to help. Once you’ve seen a doctor and received medical treatment, your next step after any car accident should be to speak to an injury attorney. An Ocean Hill car accident lawyer can review the details of your accident and discuss who may be liable for your injuries and what kinds of compensation you may be entitled to claim.
Ocean Hill Legal Information
Any car accident that takes place in Ocean Hill, Brooklyn falls under New York State law regarding accident liability. In New York, drivers are required to carry no-fault Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage as part of their car insurance package. PIP benefits are designed to cover injuries you sustain in an accident regardless of who was at fault. To be eligible for these benefits, you must file an application within 30 days of the crash.
While PIP benefits may cover some of your expenses, they are not likely to cover your full costs and losses if your injuries are significant. If you’ve suffered injuries beyond what your PIP benefits will cover, you may need to file a claim against the other driver who caused your accident. You will have to show that the other driver was responsible for causing the accident and that their careless or reckless actions led to your injuries.
A car accident lawyer at David Resnick & Associates can help you seek the necessary evidence to build a persuasive case for compensation. A police report can help show the other driver was at fault. For example, the police report might say that the other driver was exceeding the speed limit when the accident occurred, or that the driver violated your right-of-way. Once fault has been established, medical records, pay stubs, and other documents can show the extent of your injuries and financial losses.
It’s important to know that any potential legal claim after an accident is subject to New York’s statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits. If you do not file a claim within 3 years of the date of the accident, you’ll most likely lose any chance to recover compensation.
What to Expect When You Call Our Injury Attorneys
When you call our office, our first step will be to schedule a time for a free initial consultation. At that meeting, we’ll ask you some basic questions about what happened in your accident. This will help us determine who may be liable for any injuries or financial losses you may have sustained.
If we determine that you have a viable claim for damages, then we’ll offer to handle your case on a contingency fee basis. You will not owe us a legal fee unless we are successful in obtaining money for you through a settlement or court award.
Our first step will be to fully investigate the circumstances of your Ocean Hill traffic accident. We’ll review your statement about what happened and seek to gather the necessary evidence to prove your claim. We’ll go over any photos you might have from the scene, the accident report from any law enforcement agencies that investigated and any medical records from your various doctors. We’ll also interview any witnesses who saw what happened.
While this is going on, we’ll be filing the necessary paperwork and speaking with the other driver’s insurer. Most car accident claims are settled outside of court, and we will negotiate aggressively on your behalf. At the same time, our legal team will be preparing your case to go to court, should that become necessary. Do not offer any statement to the other driver’s insurer without speaking to an attorney; the insurance company can use your own words against you, so you need to be very careful about what you say.
Our team is committed to pursuing maximum compensation for you, whether it is at the negotiating table or in the courtroom. We have the skills, experience, and resources to handle your car accident claim effectively. What’s more, when you work with us, we won’t charge you a single penny until we recover compensation for you. Reach out right away for help if you’ve been hurt.
Contact an Ocean Hill Personal Injury Law Firm Today
The aftermath of a major car accident can be frightening, but you don’t need to face it alone. The Ocean Hill attorneys at David Resnick & Associates are here to provide you with quality legal representation. We can help you get back on your feet after an accident. Call us today at (212) 279-2000 to schedule a free consultation.