Personal Injury Lawyers in DUMBO, Brooklyn
The Brooklyn neighborhood that is bordered by Brooklyn Bridge Park to the north, the Brooklyn Bridge to the west, Brooklyn Heights to the south, and Vinegar Hill to the east is commonly referred to as “DUMBO,” which is short for “Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass.” Sections of DUMBO, formerly known as Gairville, include the Manhattan Bridge and Brooklyn Bridge.
Those who work and reside in DUMBO, like other areas of New York City, could suffer severe injuries due to the actions or inactions of others. We rely on each other to behave responsibly, and failure to do so could lead to car accidents, slip and fall accidents, workplace accidents, and a wide variety of other incidents that could potentially have been avoided.
David Resnick & Associates, P.C. have successfully represented clients who’ve been hurt in accidents in the DUMBO area, and we stand ready to help you. Our firm has been a cornerstone of the legal community here in the DUMBO area for over 20 years. We’ll be ready to sit down with you and discuss your case when you schedule a free consultation with us by calling (917) 722-1852 or by reaching out to us online.
Bridge DUMBO, Brooklyn Personal Injury Accident Areas of Practice
Some of the most common types of serious or fatal injury accidents in DUMBO include, but are not limited to:
- Slip and Fall Accidents — Falls are routinely one of the most common causes of injuries, and some falls are the direct result of unsafe walking surfaces. When a property owner failed to correct or warn a person about a potential hazard, they could end up being liable for all of the victim’s damages.
- Car Accidents — Streetsblog NYC reported in October 2018 that there were 1,923,041 cars registered to city residents at the end of 2017. According to the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), only 27% of the 3.8 million workers in the city use their vehicles to commute to work, and Staten Island was the only borough where the majority of commuters (64%) drive to work. Automobiles are, of course, very common all over New York City, and accidents occur frequently because of many different types of driver negligence.
- Premises Liability — Some injuries are the result of unsafe property conditions, and property owners can be held liable for injuries in such cases. Property owners must either warn people about possible dangers or correct the hazardous conditions. Failure to do so can result in a premises liability lawsuit when a person suffers injuries because of a dangerous property condition.
- Wrongful Death — When a person is killed as a result of another party’s negligence, their family could be able to file a lawsuit on their behalf to collect damages for the financial hardships caused by the death. It is important to understand that the statute of limitations for a wrongful death claim usually begins on the date of a person’s death, which may be later than the date of the accident they were involved in.
- Window Guard Accidents — Window guards are required in buildings with tenants who are children 10 years of age or younger. Parents could be entitled to damages when a child falls from a window that did not have a guard or in which the guards were faulty or improperly installed.
- Trucking Accidents — Commercial vehicles are routinely transporting cargo to and from New York City, so it is not uncommon to see large tractor-trailers on many different highways around the area. A commercial truck accident is not only more likely to cause severe injuries, but it is also likely to be a far more complicated injury case because numerous parties could be liable in these types of crashes.
- Amusement Park Accidents — Amusement parks in and around New York City include Santa’s Workshop, Adventureland, Midway State Park, Sylvan Beach Amusement Park, Luna Park at Coney Island, Playland Amusement Park, Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom, Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark, Seabreeze Amusement Park, Six Flags Darien Lake Theme Park, Fantasy Island, and Enchanted Forest Water Safari. Accidents at amusement parks could involve unsafe rides caused by negligence or failure to maintain them. Accidents may also occur due to unsafe premises.
- Dog Bites — When a person is bitten by a dog, they may not think the case is serious enough to merit legal representation. In truth, dog bites are among the most common cases that attorneys handle. Dog bite victims often need help obtaining proper compensation from insurance companies that are offering them far less money than what they are entitled to.
- Public Transportation Accidents — People are injured in a wide variety of accidents on Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) public transit lines. Such accidents could involve faulty equipment or operator error. If you are injured while on a public transit line, you will want the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer in determining the cause of your accident.
- Motorcycle Accidents – A crash involving a motorcycle is highly likely to result in severe or fatal injuries, due to the speed at which they travel and the relative lack of protection and safety features for the rider.
- Tour Bus Accidents — Several companies operate buses designed to transport people around New York City and provide sightseeing tours. The companies are expected to inspect and maintain their fleet of vehicles and keep customers safe at all times. Unfortunately, reckless driving on the part of the operator, mechanical issues, the negligence of other motorists ,and other hazards could result in a harmful and potentially deadly crash.
- Pedestrian Accidents — Many residents and visitors alike enjoy traveling by foot to get to destinations in the DUMBO area. While pedestrians may feel like they are less likely to be involved in accidents while walking, the truth is that there are several different types of incidents that could cause serious injuries to a pedestrian. While motorists are most commonly the negligent parties in pedestrian accidents, it is also possible for accidents to stem from the negligence of property owners.
- School Bus Accidents — Children throughout the DUMBO area rely on school buses to transport them to and from school. Some crashes could be the result of a bus driver’s negligence, but another driver could also be responsible.
- Lead Poisoning — Many older buildings have lead pipes, and property owners are expected to minimize the possibility of lead poisoning. The same concern also applies to older schools where children could be exposed to possible lead poisoning.
- Construction Accidents — The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) refers to the leading causes of fatalities in the construction industry as the “Fatal Four” hazards, which include electrocutions, falls, struck-by, and caught-in or -between incidents. Many workers may be covered by workers’ compensation, but such benefits are not always easy to obtain, and other parties could also be liable.
- Taxi Accidents — People could be injured while they are passengers in taxi cabs involved in motor vehicle accidents, but individuals could also be occupants in other vehicles that were struck by taxis. It is also possible for pedestrians or bicyclists to be injured by the negligence of taxi drivers.
No matter what kind of accident in the DUMBO area that you are involved in, always be sure that you get medical attention. See a doctor even if you do not think you were hurt, as some injuries have delayed symptoms. Seeing a physician days or weeks after your accident can lead to an insurance company claiming that you did not treat the injuries properly.
What to Expect When Hiring An Attorney in DUMBO
If you’ve been injured in the DUMBO area, David Resnick & Associates, P.C. will immediately launch an independent investigation of your accident. We will work tirelessly to determine the cause of your accident while collecting the evidence necessary to hold the responsible party accountable.
Our lawyers will negotiate for a just settlement that covers all of the expenses you have incurred or will incur because of your injuries. If the insurance company tries to blame you the accident or if they try to offer you a low-ball settlement to save themselves money, your attorney will sue for damages in court.
Courts in DUMBO
Injury cases in Bridge DUMBO, Brooklyn involving $25,000 or less in damages are heard in New York City Civil Court. The civil court in Bridge DUMBO, Brooklyn is located at:
Civil Court of the City of New York-Kings County
141 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
When a case involves over $25,000 in damages, it will be heard in the Kings County Supreme Court located at:
Kings County Supreme Court
360 Adams Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
The United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York handles federal cases and is located at:
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
225 Cadman Plaza East
Brooklyn, NY 11201
David Resnick & Associates, P.C. has a record of success that includes over $150 million in verdicts and settlements recovered for our clients.
Contact Our Bridge DUMBO, Brooklyn Personal Injury Law Firm Today
If you suffered serious injuries or your loved one was killed in an accident caused by another party’s negligence in the DUMBO area, you will need qualified legal help to obtain all of the compensation you need and deserve. David Resnick & Associates, P.C. provides compassionate legal representation to scores of residents and visitors all over New York City.
Worried about how you’ll afford to hire us? Don’t be. We represent clients on a contingency fee basis, which means that we’ll front all of the costs and will not charge you a single dime for representation until we win your case.