Crown Heights Personal Injury Lawyer
Every day, people in Crown Heights and throughout New York suffer serious injuries due to others’ negligent actions or reckless behavior. Whether the accident involves a car crash, slipping on a wet floor while shopping or being bitten by a neighbor’s dog, these kinds of personal injuries can cost tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills and dramatically impact your quality of life.
If you live in Crown Heights in Brooklyn, you may be wondering what your options are if you’ve recently been injured in an accident. Your first step is to seek medical care. Once you’ve started treatment, your next call should be to a Crown Heights personal injury lawyer to review your legal options.
The legal team at David Resnick and Associates, P.C., is committed to helping accident victims throughout Brooklyn and Crown Heights. You will receive one-on-one attention from our personal injury attorneys. Our bilingual staff serves clients in both English or Spanish.
You can learn more about the services we offer by calling (212) 279-2000 or visiting our contact page.
About Crown Heights and Our Firm
Crown Heights is a diverse neighborhood in Brooklyn, with the majority of its residents being of West Indian or African American descent, according to the 2010 Census. There’s also a significant population of Orthodox Jews in the area.
Among its neighborhood attractions are the Brooklyn Botanic Garden in Prospect Park, which forms the western boundary of the area, the Brooklyn Children’s Museum, and the neighborhood’s annual West Indian Day Parade and Carnival, which attracts around 1 million to 3 million visitors every year. Even in bustling neighborhoods like Crown Heights, though, accidents do happen.
When serious accidents happen, and you need legal assistance, it’s important to hire a personal injury lawyer with strong local ties. David Resnick founded our firm in 1998 with the goal of providing one-on-one attention to clients. Resnick saw a need for a law firm based on providing personal attention and quality legal representation. Those principles are the cornerstone of our practice to this day.
Slip-and-Fall Attorneys Serving Crown Heights, Brooklyn
Slip-and-fall accidents are among the most common accidents in Crown Heights. These accidents can happen at any time and under a wide range of circumstances. You can slip and fall on a sidewalk, on a wet floor in someone’s home, or due to an unsafe property condition while out shopping.
While all of these injuries result from accidents, some of the accidents may have been preventable and someone may be liable for your injuries. Employers, store owners, landlords, and other property owners have a legal responsibility to keep their properties safe and to warn visitors or guests of any potential hazards.
If you can show that your injuries were the result of a property owner’s negligence, and that they didn’t take adequate steps to protect you or warn you of the hazard, then you may have a right to file a personal injury claim against the property owner seeking compensation for your injuries.
Personal Injury Practice Areas
Our firm has experience with a wide range of personal injury claims. No matter how you were injured, our Crown Heights injury lawyers can provide guidance and help you seek full and fair compensation for your injuries and related losses.
In addition to slip-and-fall accidents, other personal injury cases that David Resnick & Associates handles include:
- Car accidents – We handle personal injury claims involving drunk driving accidents, distracted driving accidents, speeding accidents, aggressive driving accidents, accidents related to driving while fatigued, and other types of car accidents. All drivers in New York are required to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage as part of their auto insurance policy to pay for medical bills after an accident. This means that you cannot sue the other driver for damages unless your medical expenses and losses from the accident exceed a certain amount. If your injuries are severe or permanent, you may be able to file a lawsuit. New York follows a “comparative negligence” model of compensation, in which any damages you receive will be reduced by whatever percentage of fault you hold for the accident. For example, if you’re 10 percent to blame for the accident, then your damages will be reduced by 10 percent.
- Truck accidents – Accidents involving tractor-trailers and other commercial vehicles are especially dangerous because trucks are so much bigger and heavier than passenger cars. Truck drivers spend many hours behind the wheel and are susceptible to causing accidents due to fatigue or inattention.
- Motorcycle accidents – Many car and truck drivers don’t take enough care to watch for motorcycles on the roads of Brooklyn. Motorcycles offer less protection in the event of an accident than cars. Motorcycle riders often suffer more extensive injuries in a crash, leading to higher medical bills and a permanent decline in their quality of life. An injured motorcyclist may have a right to seek compensation if another driver was at fault for a Crown Heights motorcycle accident.
- Dog bites –Dog bites can leave disfiguring scars that last a lifetime, and there’s the risk of infection and other dangers. Dog owners may be held liable for any injuries that their pet inflicts on someone else.
- Wrongful death – Sometimes an accident is so severe that it costs someone their life. If someone in your family has died in an accident that was someone else’s fault, we can help you pursue compensation from whoever is responsible for their injuries and death. This includes car accidents, construction accidents, lead poisoning, premises liability claims, and other examples of negligence. There are special laws that apply to filing wrongful death claims, so be sure to choose a law firm that has experience handling wrongful death accidents.
If you’ve been involved in an accident of any kind, chances are we can help. You can find a full list of the legal services we provide here.
What to Expect When You Call Our Injury Attorneys
When you call our office, our first step will be to schedule a free case evaluation to go over the basics of what happened. If it looks like you have a viable claim, our next action will be to conduct a thorough investigation. We’ll help you gather the evidence to prove your claim — photographs and video evidence from the accident scene, police reports, witness statements, medical records and expert testimony. Once we have developed your case, we will open negotiations with the other parties involved in your accident to try to reach a fair settlement.
It’s important to consult with an attorney before giving any recorded statement about the accident to the other parties involved, their attorneys, or their insurance provider. If you’re not careful about what you say, the opposing side can use your words against you to shift the blame and avoid liability for the accident. An experienced personal injury attorney will make sure you don’t say or do anything that could undermine your claim.
Most personal injury claims are settled out of court, and we’ll negotiate aggressively on your behalf to get a fair settlement and keep you updated on our progress. However, some cases end up going to trial. If the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we will be prepared to seek justice for you in a New York courtroom. Every personal injury case stands on its own and we cannot promise a specific outcome. But we have extensive experience in this area of law and have helped our clients recover millions of dollars in compensation over the years.
We handle personal injury cases on a contingency-fee basis. That means you don’t owe us any legal fee unless we are successful in obtaining compensation for you through a negotiated settlement or court award. If we don’t win your case, then you don’t owe us any legal fee.
Crown Heights Legal Information
Should you decide to file a claim related to your personal injury accident, your case may eventually end up going to court. If that happens, where your case will be heard will depend on the amount of damages you’re attempting to recover.
If the value of your claim is less than $25,000, your case will be heard at the Civil Court of the City of New York-Kings County. The courthouse is located at:
Civil Court of the City of New York-Kings County
141 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
If the value of your claim is more than $25,000, your case will be filed at the Kings County Supreme Court, which is located at:
Kings County Supreme Court
360 Adams Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
If your case involves the federal court system, it will be heard at the federal courthouse. Federal cases are heard at the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, which is located at:
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
225 Cadman Plaza East
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Contact Our Crown Heights Personal Injury Law Firm Today
No matter how you were injured in an accident, the personal injury attorneys at David Resnick and Associates, P.C., want to help. Schedule your free case evaluation today by calling (212) 279-2000 or visiting our contact page.