Accidents While Visiting New York

Accidents While Visiting New York

If you have been hurt in any accidents while visiting New York City, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries even though you live in another city or state – or even in another country. Liability for injuries in slip and fall cases does not stop at the state line or the city limits.


Slip And Fall Accidents While Visiting New York

An accident claim for a slip and fall injury in New York City would be pursued under New York State law and any local ordinances that apply. If your legal claim could not be settled through negotiation, it would proceed to a court in New York. A lawyer who knows New York law and who is known in New York City courts can provide effective representation here.

If you have been injured in a fall in New York City that was caused by negligence on the part of the property owner, manager or occupant, an experienced attorney from David Resnick & Associates, P.C., can review your case and help you obtain the compensation you deserve. There is no charge for a claim analysis.

Falls Are Common In New York City

In general, a person injured in a fall in New York City may hold the property owner (or other responsible party) liable if the responsible party:

  • Caused the dangerous condition, such as spilling a liquid.
  • Knew about the unsafe condition but failed to take steps to correct it, such as promptly mopping up a spill.
  • Should have known about the hazard because a reasonable person taking care of the property would have discovered and corrected the dangerous condition.

Spilled liquid is a common cause of falls, as are:

  • Snow and ice on sidewalks.
  • Store aisles cluttered with merchandise, equipment or tools, or other items or debris.
  • Poor lighting in stairwells and hallways.
  • Faulty escalators or elevators.
  • Broken pavement or paving stones on sidewalks or in parking lots.
  • Poorly maintained grounds or equipment at parks.

How To Make A Slip And Fall Claim In NYC

If you have been injured in a fall while visiting New York, there are several things you can do to help our office prepare your case.

First, take photos of where your fall occurred before the property owner can fix the hazard that caused you to slip or trip. This will make it easier to prove that your accident was the result of the property owner’s negligence.

Next, report your accident to the property owner or someone in charge where your accident occurred as soon as possible. Ask for a copy of any incident report written by the business where you fell. If you are told it will be available later, follow up and get a copy.

If there were any eyewitnesses to your accident, try to get their names and contact information.

Seek medical treatment for your injuries as soon as possible, and follow all doctors’ recommendations for treatment. This will begin to document your injuries. If you are treated in New York, see your doctor when you get home and advise him or her of your injuries and the extent of your treatment in New York.

Keep copies of all of your medical bills (even those paid by insurance) and records of work absences during your recovery. Save any stained or torn clothing and shoes you wore at the time of your fall without washing or wearing them. These may be important evidence. You might also keep a diary of your experiences and thoughts about your medical treatment or the pain and suffering your injuries caused you.

The property owners responsible for a fall accident might think they can ignore or delay action on a complaint by someone from out of state. Hiring a New York City accident lawyer can put that false belief to rest.

David Resnick & Associates, P.C., know New York, and those in New York’s legal circles know us. While you are working to recover from your injuries at home, we will be fighting for your rights and financial interests here in New York.

We are fully equipped to work with your remotely or to meet with you personally. Please contact our office to set up a free appointment to discuss your case. Phone us or use our online contact form today.