Types of New York City Car Accidents
Serious car accidents occur in a variety of situations in New York City. Car crashes may occur at busy intersections, in rush-hour bumper-to-bumper traffic, in work zones and on freeways. They can also take place on side streets and in parking lots and parking garages and at pedestrian crosswalks.
New York City has 56,000 accidents in a typical year, including 45,000 personal injury accidents, according to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles. More than 20 percent of NY auto accidents occurred in New York City, which includes Manhattan, Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx.
Some of the most common types of traffic accidents include:
- Side-impact collisions commonly occur at intersections. A vehicle is struck in the side or broadsided by another vehicle traveling on a cross street. The side of a vehicle is damaged by the front of an oncoming vehicle. The vehicle occupants on the side of the vehicle that is hit typically suffer the worst injuries.
- Sideswipe collisions often occur in congested traffic when vehicles touch sides. If both cars are moving in the same direction and the drivers maintain control of the vehicles, the damage may be minimal. However, these types of collisions can still result in serious physical injuries.
- Rear-end collision refers to a crash where the front of one vehicle collides with the rear of another vehicle. They are one of the most frequently occurring types of accidents. They are responsible for the large number of injuries and fatalities every year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). As a general rule, the driver of the vehicle that strikes the other vehicle is usually at fault in the accident and may be negligent.
- Head-on accidents often cause serious injuries. While modern cars are designed for the passenger safety cage to remain intact, head-on collisions are more likely to be fatal than other types of accidents. A vehicle crossing the center line is a common cause of head-on collisions.
- Multi-vehicle accidents are common in traffic-congested urban areas, particularly on freeways and highways where motorists travel at higher speeds. These are sometimes called “chain reaction accidents.”
- Rollover accidents occur when a vehicle flips over onto its side or roof. Rollover accidents may be caused by uneven pavement or taking a sharp turn at high speed. Any vehicle can roll over, but some vehicles – such as sport utility vehicles (SUVs) and 18-wheelers – are more likely to tip because they have higher centers of gravity.
Contact a New York City Car Accident Lawyer
The legal team of David Resnick & Associates, P.C., understands the impact a serious car accident can have on you and your family. We work hard to see that you obtain the resources you need to recover fully if you’ve been injured by the carelessness of another driver.
If you need a NYC accident lawyer, or you’re unclear whether your situation requires legal representation by an experienced attorney, contact David Resnick & Associates, P.C., online or call us at 212-279-2000.
At David Resnick & Associates, P.C., we offer a free initial evaluation of your claim. Rest assured that our attorneys will negotiate a prompt, fair and just settlement or fight aggressively to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation available under the law. Call 212-279-2000 today or fill out our online contact form to schedule your free initial consultation.