Slip-and-fall accidents are no laughing matter when they cause injuries. Falls are the leading cause of emergency room visits, at more than 8 million a year, the National Floor Safety Institute says. Of these, 1 million visits are for slips and falls.
According to the National Floor Safety Institute:
- Slip-and-fall accidents are the primary cause of lost work days and workers’ compensation claims. They are also the leading cause of work injuries for people between the ages of 15 and 24.
- Women experience more slip-and-fall accidents than men, but fall fatalities are nearly equal between women and men.
- Five percent of people who fall experience fractures. Hip fractures are the most serious, causing the worst injuries and the most deaths.
- Floors and flooring materials cause more than 2 million fall injuries a year.
- More than 60 percent of nursing home residents fall every year.
Some common causes for slip-and-fall accidents include wet floors, cluttered store floors, hazardous sidewalks and poorly-maintained elevators and escalators.
If you have suffered from a slip-and-fall injury in New York that was someone else’s fault, you need an experienced New York slip and fall lawyer to fight for you. Send a quick message to David Resnick & Associates, P.C., so we can determine whether you have a case for compensation.