A Winnipeg roller coaster accident recently left a boy seriously injured, serving as a reminder of why amusement rides need to meet safety standards.
According to the Winnipeg Free Press, the boy got off the ride and then turned to jump the safety fence to retrieve his hat. The game operator saw the boy and hit the switch, but not soon enough. The next car slammed into him and knocked him unconscious. He was sent to the hospital in critical condition.
A carnival worker was killed on the same ride in 2006 when he was hit by it, the paper reported. It lists other accidents involving amusement rides around the world, including one at the New York State Fair on September 1, 2012. In that instance, a man died after being hit in the head by a whirling arm of a ride.
Other amusement ride accidents in 2012 included:
- Louisiana State Fair — A woman fell from a ride, broroller coaster
- ke bones and suffered internal injuries.
- Northampton, England, Fair — A girl fell from a ride and suffered internal injuries.
- Koriyama, Japan — An amusement-park worker was injured and later died after being pinned under a steel roller-coaster.
- Nebraska State Fair — A woman suffered head lacerations after a panel fell from a ride and hit her.
- North Carolina — A man fell off a zip-line platform and was injured.
A 2010 Live Science article highlighted regulatory problems regarding amusement park rides, which may make it difficult to nail down owner responsibility when accidents occur. According to the article, “No federal agency has authority to set uniform safety standards for amusement park rides, investigate serious accidents at permanent facilities or require the correction of hazards that lead to rider injuries.”
The Consumer Product Safety Commission collected statistics on amusement park accidents between 1997 and 2004. It estimated that 25,000 injuries occurred during that period.
When you visit an amusement park, observe whether safety seems to be a priority for ride operators. If it is not and if you or a family member is seriously injured, you need the aid of an experienced New York injury lawyer. The firm of David Resnick & Associates, P.C., can help you obtain the compensation that you are legally entitled to receive. Contact us today.