First, get prompt medical treatment for any injuries you may have. Proper medical care should be your first priority. Then call a personal injury attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Here are some additional steps you should take.
- Write down as much as you can about the accident itself. List your injuries and any other losses you have suffered as a result of the accident.
- Document the conversations you have with people who witnessed or were involved in the accident or the injury claim.
- Take photographs with your cell phone camera. Photographs should include the scene of the accident from all angles, the surrounding area, your injuries, and any property damage.
- While you are required to contact your own insurance company about the accident, do not provide a written or recorded statement to an insurance adjuster until you have spoken with an attorney.
- Obtain the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all potential witnesses of the accident.