Personal Injury Lawyers in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn
The Carroll Gardens area in Brooklyn is named after Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The Carroll Gardens neighborhood, especially its historic district, is known for its locally-owned businesses and fine brownstones, and many residents in the neighborhood have lived there for several years. While the neighborhood was known for many years as being predominantly Italian-American, it has expanded to encompass diverse families and businesses.
Have you sustained serious injuries or was your loved one harmed or killed in an accident caused by another party’s negligence in the Carroll Gardens area? It is a mistake to try to deal with an at-fault party’s insurance company on your own. You need an experienced Carroll Gardens injury lawyer who will represent you aggressively and protect your rights to seek full compensation.
The attorneys at David Resnick & Associates in Brooklyn can review your case and discuss your legal options. Call (212) 279-2000 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Our offices are located in Midtown Manhattan. We represent clients in all five boroughs, including clients in Brooklyn.
Personal Injury Areas of Practice
The Carrol Gardens personal injury lawyers at Resnick & Associates, P.C., handle a wide variety of injury cases, including:
- Car accidents — Motor vehicles are in operation all over New York City, and Brooklyn is a common location for automobile accidents. Most car crashes are caused by another driver’s negligence or recklessness. The driver who was at fault can be held responsible for financial damages and repairs stemming from a collision.
- Wrongful death — The immediate family of a person killed by a party’s negligence or intentional wrongdoing may have the right to file a wrongful death claim in civil court to seek compensation for losses caused by the death.
- Truck accidents — Crashes involving commercial motor vehicles in Carroll Gardens are far more likely to result in catastrophic injuries. There may be additional liable parties in these cases. Even when a truck driver appears to be at fault for a crash, the truck driver’s employer, the truck owner, the cargo shipper or other parties may be held responsible depending upon the facts.
- Slip and fall accidents — Injuries from a fall at unsafe premises in Carroll Gardens may make the property owners financially liable for the fall victim’s medical bills and other related losses. After any slip and fall accident, you should photograph or video the hazardous condition before the condition is corrected and the evidence is lost. A New York slip and fall lawyer at David Resnick & Associates can review the circumstances of your accident and discuss your legal options free of charge.
- Motorcycle accidents — Unprotected motorcycles riders are much more susceptible to serious injuries when they are involved in motor vehicle accidents. Insurance companies are notorious for undervaluing the extent of motorcyclist injuries and accusing motorcyclists of being at fault for their accidents. Our attorneys stand up for injured motorcyclists.
- Premises liability — Any property owner in New York City has an obligation to correct possible hazards that endanger others and to warn of any unforeseeable risks that haven’t been fixed. A person injured at an unsafe location may have a premises liability claim against the property owner.
- Pedestrian accidents — Many people prefer to travel by foot to get to destinations in Brooklyn and elsewhere New York City. Unfortunately, some drivers are not alert for people on foot and cause accidents. Unprotected pedestrians may be seriously injured or killed by drivers who fail to yield and speed through busy intersections.
- Dog bites — Never assume that dog bite cases are not important enough to merit legal representation. Dog bite claims are among of the most common issues that personal injury attorneys deal with and the most common type of homeowners’ insurance claims. A lawyer can help a dog bite victim to recover compensation when the pet owner or an insurance company is proving difficult to deal with.
- Taxi accidents — Taxi crashes not only can injure passengers but also people in other vehicles in the collision. If you are injured while a passenger in a taxi, you may have a claim against the taxi cab company or against another motorist who caused the crash. Pedestrians and bicyclists also can be injured in cab accidents.
- Tour boat accidents — Many different companies in New York City offer boat tours of the city and different architectural sights. When a tour company is negligent in the maintenance of its vessel, it can cause an accident that results in severe injuries to passengers.
- Tour bus accidents — New York City is a hub for sightseeing companies that provide tour bus services. Tour bus companies can be held responsible for accidents caused by their drivers’ negligence or by their failure to properly maintain a vehicle.
- School bus accidents — Any motor vehicle accident involving a school bus places grave concern on the welfare of children involved, given the likelihood of multiple injuries to them as well as to other motorists and pedestrians.
- Public transportation accidents — New York City operates one of the largest public transportation systems in the world. Unfortunately, public transit accidents occur. Carroll Gardens is served by the B57, B62, and SIM4C Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) bus lines. It is also served by the Hempstead Branch and West Hempstead Branch of the Long Island Rail Road as well as the MTA F Queens Boulevard Express/Sixth Avenue Local and G Brooklyn-Queens Crosstown subways. Victims of public transportation injuries must file a claim against the government, and specific rules and deadlines apply.
- Lead poisoning — It is possible that a school, apartment landlord, or other entity can be held liable for failure to warn about or remove lead paint in an older home or building.
- Amusement park accidents — Amusement parks in New York City include Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark, Adventureland, Sylvan Beach Amusement Park, Six Flags Darien Lake Theme Park, Seabreeze Amusement Park, Enchanted Forest Water Safari, Santa’s Workshop, Fantasy Island, Playland Amusement Park, Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom, Midway State Park, and Luna Park at Coney Island. Park patrons often get into accidents of all kinds as a result of the negligence of amusement park operators.
- Construction accidents — Construction workers and day laborers face many job-site hazards. Injured construction workers may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. Construction accidents often require independent investigations by a knowledgeable New York construction accident lawyer to determine if there may be additional third-party negligence.
- Window guard accidents — When a child 10 years of age or younger is a resident in New York City, the landlord is required to install window guards. A landlord can be liable when window guards were not installed or were improperly maintained.
The compassionate personal injury lawyers at David Resnick & Associates, P.C. are ready to assist. Our staff speaks English and Spanish and will take the time to understand what happened and how to assist you in rebuilding your life.
What to Expect When Hiring a Carroll Gardens Car Accident Attorney
During an initial consultation, a Carroll Gardens accident attorney will review the facts to determine if you have a viable legal claim. Upon being hired, our firm will commence a thorough independent investigation of the accident.
The negligent party’s insurance company may contact you soon after an accident. No matter how sincere an agent might sound, remember that the insurance company is out to protect its bottom line. This is accomplished by paying you as little as possible. For this reason, you should avoid giving any statements to an insurance adjuster and instead refer them to a Carroll Gardens injury lawyer.
Our firm will be able to step in right away and begin negotiating a fair settlement to your case. If the insurance company refuses to agree to a just settlement, our attorneys will be prepared to file a lawsuit and seek justice in court.
The amount of money in dispute determines which court will hear your claim. Cases involving $25,000 or less in damages are heard in a New York City Civil Court. For Brooklyn, the civil court is located at:
Civil Court of the City of New York-Kings County
141 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Cases involving more than $25,000 in damages are heard in the New York County Supreme Court located at:
New York County Supreme Court
60 Centre Street
New York, NY 10007
Federal cases are heard in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, located at:
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
500 Pearl Street
New York, NY 10007
Contact Our Carroll Gardens Personal Injury Law Firm Today
If you have suffered serious injuries or your loved one was harmed or killed in an accident caused by another party’s negligence in Carroll Gardens, don’t hesitate to call an attorney right away. David Resnick & Associates, P.C., has obtained more than $150 million settlements and verdicts for our clients. They were people struggling to overcome serious injuries and move forward with their lives—people just like you.
David Resnick & Associates, P.C., has been serving both residents of and visitors to New York City since 1998. Call (212) 279-2000 or contact us online to set up a free consultation. We offer personalized service with genuine concern for your well-being. Our respected trial attorneys and savvy negotiators will work tirelessly to seek the financial compensation that you deserve.