Personal Injury Attorneys in Brooklyn Heights
The community of Brooklyn Heights, with its historic brownstones, tree-lined streets, well-kept parks, and great views of the Brooklyn Bridge, is a bustling area with many transportation amenities. But sometimes serious accidents occur, and when they do, you need an experienced lawyer on your side.
David Resnick & Associates is conveniently located in Midtown Manhattan, near Madison Square Garden. New York Attorney David Resnick and his legal team have been helping injury victims in Brooklyn Heights and all over New York City for more than 20 years. We handle all types of personal injury cases, including car accidents and slip and fall cases.
At David Resnick & Associates, you’ll receive the one-on-one attention that larger firms cannot provide. You won’t be just another number to us. Our English- and Spanish-speaking staff is always available to answer your questions. We are proud to support the communities and residents we serve, and we honor local veterans through an annual grant. You won’t find another firm that is more invested in the local community and helping its residents through difficult times.
If you’ve suffered severe injuries or your loved one was killed in an accident caused by another party’s negligence in Brooklyn Heights, then you need a lawyer who will represent you vigorously and help alleviate your confusion and concern about how you will pay your medical bills and lost wages while you recover. Do not wait to contact David Resnick & Associates, P.C. We’ll explore all your legal options. Call (917) 722-1852 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.
Brooklyn Heights Personal Injury Areas of Practice
David Resnick & Associates, P.C., handles a wide variety of different accident cases. Some of the most common include:
- Wrongful Death — A wrongful death refers to any death that is caused by the negligence or intentional acts of another party. The family of a person killed under circumstances such as in a car crash or pedestrian accident caused by another motorist may be entitled to file a lawsuit against the negligent party. A wrongful death lawsuit can help a family that has lost a breadwinner maintain financial security and move forward.
- Dog Bites — When a dog unexpectedly bites a person, the bite can cause serious injuries that result in possible scarring and may even require surgery. When this happens, the owner of the dog might be held liable for the victim’s injuries.
- Lead Poisoning — Families who live in older homes or have children who attend school in older buildings have understandable concerns about lead paint exposure. Landlords or school districts can be liable for not making specific lead-poisoning prevention efforts.
- Construction Accidents — Workers in the construction industry deal with a lot of heavy equipment and power tools. Employers can be liable for unsafe job sites, manufacturers can be responsible for accidents involving defective equipment, and third-party negligence can also be a factor in these cases.
- Slip and Fall Accidents — People can suffer numerous serious injuries when they fall. Some falls are the result of unsafe walkways. Property owners again have a responsibility for correcting dangerous conditions or warning people about the hazards to prevent slip and fall accidents.
- Premises Liability — Property owners must make sure their premises are safe for their guests and warn people of any foreseeable hazards. Premises liability cases include elevator or escalator accidents, falls, muggings and assaults due to negligent security, and fires.
- Window Guard Accidents — Window guards are required for buildings with tenants who have children ten years of age or younger. Landlords can be liable for not installing these guards or improperly maintaining them.
- Public Transportation Accidents — Brooklyn Heights is served by rail and bus systems operated by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Operator error or issues with maintenance may be factors in many bus, subway, or ferry accidents.
- City Tour Boat Accidents — A tour boat is held to the same common carrier standard as other vehicles used for public transportation. Owners of these vessels must properly maintain the boats and operate them safely.
- School Bus Accidents — Public schools in Brooklyn Heights rely on school buses and subways to transport students to and from school. School districts can be responsible for accidents caused by negligent drivers or a failure to maintain buses or subways.
- Tour Bus Accidents — Just as with school bus crashes, a tour bus accident could be the result of a negligent driver or mechanical issues. Tour bus companies are liable for damages in these cases.
- Taxi Accidents — People operating taxi cabs in New York City can be involved in motor vehicle crashes for many of the same reasons as other drivers. Passengers in taxi cabs and occupants of other vehicles involved in taxi accidents may have claims against taxi companies.
- Pedestrian Accidents — Many people walk to get around New York City, but they can easily be involved in accidents involving negligent drivers or other possible hazards. Insurance companies often deny liability in these types of accident claims by arguing the pedestrian was at fault.
- Motorcycle Accidents — New York state requires helmets for motorcyclists and their passengers, but helmets cannot prevent all kinds of injuries. Many motorcycle crashes are caused by other motorists who failed to see an approaching motorcyclist. The rider’s injuries can be catastrophic.
- Trucking Accidents — Crashes involving commercial trucks are much more complicated than traditional automobile accidents. Negligent drivers may be liable for damages, but a trucking company, parts manufacturer, or numerous other parties could also be liable.
- Car Accidents — Motor vehicle crashes are one of the most common causes of injuries in Brooklyn Heights. The severity of the injuries can vary greatly depending on a variety of factors such the speed of the vehicles and angle of impact. Insurance companies do not always offer people the full compensation they are entitled to when resolving these claims.
If you are involved in an accident, your first step should always be to seek medical attention. Your health must be your first priority. It’s important to go to a hospital even if you do not believe you were hurt because some injuries involve delayed symptoms. Insurance companies often challenge the legitimacy of an injury claim when there is any delay in treatment.
What To Expect When Hiring A Brooklyn Heights Car Accident Attorney
David Resnick & Associates, P.C., will conduct a thorough independent investigation of your accident. We will determine the cause of your accident, gather important evidence, and identify the at-fault party.
After you have been involved in an accident, you may be contacted by an insurance company representing the negligent party. A representative from an insurance company may seem friendly at first. They may even express a willingness to offer you a settlement. You should know that the agent’s only loyalty is to his or her company’s bottom line. That usually involves paying you as little as possible to settle the claim.
Insurance companies often try to get accident victims to make statements about their own actions being a contributing factor to reduce the value of a claim. The insurer may offer a lump-sum settlement that is far less than the fair value of the claim. Having an experienced Brooklyn Heights personal injury lawyers advocating on your behalf can prevent an insurance company from taking advantage of you.
David Resnick & Associates, P.C., will negotiate for a settlement that covers all your past, present, and future expenses relating to your injuries. When the insurer refuses to offer a satisfactory settlement, we can file a lawsuit to present your case to a jury.
If a Brooklyn Heights personal injury case involves $25,000 or less in damages, it will be heard in a New York City Civil Court. For Brooklyn Heights, the civil court is located at:
Civil Court of the City of New York-Kings County
141 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
When a case involves more than $25,000 in damages, it will be heard in the Kings County Supreme Court located at:
Kings County Supreme Court
360 Adams Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
When a case is a federal matter, then it is heard in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, which is located at:
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
225 Cadman Plaza East
Brooklyn, NY 11201
David Resnick & Associates, P.C., has recovered more $60 million in verdicts and settlements for our clients.
Contact Our Brooklyn Heights Personal Injury Law Firm Today
If you sustained serious injuries or your loved one was killed in an accident caused by another party’s negligence in the greater Brooklyn Heights area, it is critical for you to seek the help of a skilled attorney as soon as possible. You will want to make sure that you can recover all the compensation you need and deserve for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.
David Resnick & Associates, P.C., will work closely with you and provide you with regular updates about progress in your case. Call (917) 722-1852 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.