Brooklyn's Accident Lawyer in Fort Greene
Fort Greene is a historic neighborhood in northwest Brooklyn that is listed on both the New York State Registry and the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). Fort Greene Park, a 30-acre park, honors Nathanael Greene, a hero of the American Revolutionary War. The Fort Greene Historic District is bounded by Ashland Place, Oxford Street, and Adelphi Street to the west, DeKalb Avenue and Hanson Place to the south, Vanderbilt Avenue to the east, and Myrtle Avenue to the north.
With so much traffic in the Fort Greene neighborhood, accidents are common, but accidents can occur anywhere in this area of Brooklyn. The types of accidents and the severity of injuries vary. Anyone injured in Fort Greene as a result of someone else’s negligence could potentially seek compensation for their medical bills, lost wages, and other accident-related losses.
David Resnick & Associates, P.C. is located in Manhattan, and we proudly represent accident victims in Fort Greene and throughout Brooklyn. Our firm has been helping New Yorkers harmed by negligence rebuild their lives for more than two decades. We are committed to helping people in Fort Greene and elsewhere in Brooklyn. We are a bilingual firm to better serve our diverse city. Our attorneys can answer your questions and discuss your legal issue in English or Spanish.
How much does an accident injury lawyer cost in NYC?
People who have been injured in an accident often struggle not only physically, but also financially. Financial problems can be caused by overwhelming medical expenses and the loss of income from weeks or months of missed work.
Unfortunately, insurance companies often try to take advantage of people who are experiencing financial stress and who are unfamiliar with the personal injury claim process. An agent for an insurance company may contact you soon after an accident and make a quick settlement offer. Be wary of these offers.
Insurance companies are motivated to try to pay the least amount of money possible to settle claims. The insurer’s initial offer may be a fraction of the fair value of your claim. An experienced Fort Greene injury lawyer at David Resnick & Associates will have an idea of the fair value of your claim and will fight to make sure that insurance companies treat you fairly. We handle personal injury cases on a contingency basis.
A contingency agreement means that a client does not pay anything upfront for legal representation. You only pay a legal fee if we are successful in obtaining compensation for your through a negotiated settlement or jury award.
What percentage do lawyers take for personal injury cases?
The New York City Bar notes that the typical percentage for a contingency fee agreement is 33.3 percent or about one-third of an award. This is the maximum contingency fee allowed in New York, but not all agreements are the same.
It is important to understand that a contingency fee arrangement depends on an attorney believing that he or she can recover an amount that provides fair compensation for the work on the case. An attorney may decline to take your case if there are doubts about recovering a monetary award or whether the damages cover the costs of pursuing an action.
A November 2017 study published in the Vanderbilt Law Review found that between 2004 and 2013, there was an 84 percent settlement rate in New York state courts and litigated cases and settled cases had almost the same average recovery. The study also found that median litigation expenses were 3 percent of gross recovery, and attorneys’ fees were usually one-third of the net recovery.
Types of Personal Injury Accidents
David Resnick & Associates, P.C. handles a wide range of injury cases. Some of the most common kinds of accidents in the Fort Greene area include:
- Car Accidents — Many people in Brooklyn rely on motor vehicles, and car crashes are among the most common causes of injuries in the city. When negligent drivers cause serious accidents, the insurance companies representing the at-fault motorists are responsible for compensating the victims. You will want to have a skilled Fort Greene car accident lawyer negotiate a settlement for you rather than attempting to deal with an insurer on your own.
- Slip and Fall Accidents — Whether it is a slippery floor or some other hazardous condition, falls are one of the leading causes of injuries for all age groups in New York. Many slip-and-fall accidents occur in public places, but it is also possible for a person to be injured on private property. Property owners must either warn their guests about dangerous conditions or correct the hazards. The failure to warn adequately of a foreseeable hazard may make the property owner liable for injuries.
- Motorcycle Accidents — People who are riding motorcycles lack protection and are far more susceptible to severe injuries than other motor vehicle occupants. Crashes involving motorcycles often result in devastating injuries. Insurance companies frequently try to claim that motorcyclists were somehow at fault for their crashes. If you have been injured in a Fort Greene motorcycle accident, consult with a personal injury lawyer about your legal rights.
- Construction Accidents — Construction work involves demanding physical labor and specific risks. Construction workers frequently suffer serious injuries in accidents on job sites that are the result of another party’s negligence. While workers’ compensation prohibits many victims from being able to file lawsuits against employers, an injured construction worker may have a right to file a lawsuit against a negligent third party, such as another subcontractor working on the same job site. Contact an experienced Fort Greene construction accident lawyer to discuss the types of benefits and other compensation you could be owed.
- Trucking Accidents — When you have been involved in an accident involving a large commercial truck, you need to be aware that others besides a negligent truck driver could be liable for your injuries. Trucking companies and cargo shippers are among the most common additional defendants, but some cases could also involve maintenance companies or parts manufacturers.
- Pedestrian Accidents — Fort Greene and other areas of Brooklyn have a lot of pedestrian traffic. People on foot are at risk of being injured in pedestrian accidents caused by the negligence of other parties. Drivers frequently fail to yield to pedestrians who have the right of way at intersections. The result may be a serious injury and require filing a pedestrian accident claim.
- Premises Liability — Premises liability is a broad area of law that allows people to file suit against property owners for many other kinds of accidents caused by failure to care for their property or warn of recognizable hazards. A premises liability lawsuit could involve negligent security, unsafe attractions, and an attack by a vicious dog.
- Wrongful Death — When a person dies because of injuries suffered in an accident caused by another party’s negligence, the family may file a wrongful death action against the negligent party to recover damages for the financial hardships created by the loved one’s death.
- Taxi Accidents — Taxi drivers are under pressure to pick up clients and deliver passengers to destinations as quickly as possible. Taxicab companies can be held liable for the negligence of their drivers in some cases. A person could be injured while riding as a passenger in a taxi or as an occupant of another vehicle involved in a crash caused by a taxi.
- Dog Bites — Dog bites and attacks happen with alarming frequency, especially to children who may not recognize a dog’s signs of anxiety. If a dog is scared, or decides to attack a person for any reason, the resulting injuries could require emergency medical attention and could result in infections, scarring, disfigurement, and emotional trauma. Dog owners are responsible for their pets and should do all they can to prevent them from harming others. If they fail to do so, they should be held legally responsible.
- Lead Poisoning — As a historic neighborhood, Fort Greene has older homes and buildings in which lead paint exposure can be a significant concern for families. Both landlords and school districts could be responsible for failure to prevent lead poisoning.
- School Bus Accidents — Parents entrust schools to transport children safely every day, but some bus crashes are caused by negligent bus drivers. A bus accident could stem from a school district failing to adequately maintain a bus. There are special notification requirements when bringing a legal action against a school system. You want to consult with an experienced attorney as soon as possible after any school bus accident.
- Public Transportation Accidents — The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) is the primary public transportation system used by many people in Fort Greene. An MTA bus accident, subway accident, or ferry accident can happen because of operator error or failure to maintain equipment.
- Tour Bus Accidents — New York City attracts millions of tourists who are eager to pay for sightseeing packages on tour buses. A tour bus company’s failure to maintain its vehicle or a negligent driver could be to blame for a tour bus accident, and the tour bus operator could then be held liable for damages.
- City Tour Boat Accidents — People who are attempting to see New York City from a vessel on one of the waterways in the city can also be involved in a variety of accidents while onboard.
- Window Guard Accidents — Buildings that have tenants who are children ten years of age or younger are required to have window guards. A landlord will be liable for injuries to a person stemming from a window guard accident when the guards were not installed or not properly maintained.
After an injury accident, be sure that you receive medical care, even if you do not think you were hurt. Once you are able to reach out, contact David Resnick & Associates, P.C. right away.
Most Common Car Wrecks in Brooklyn
No two Fort Greene motor vehicle accidents are the same. Each crash involves its own unique set of circumstances and people as well as other factors that dictate who is liable for a crash.
Some of the most common kinds of car accidents include:
- Rear-end collisions
- Head-on collisions
- T-Bone accidents
- Sideswipe accidents
- Intersection collisions
- Single vehicle accidents
Contact a Fort Greene Injury Lawyer
If you suffered severe injuries or your loved one was killed in an accident caused by negligence in the Fort Greene area, speak to an injury attorney who is familiar with the neighborhood and who has helped others seek justice. The attorneys at David Resnick & Associates, P.C. have proudly served residents in Fort Greene and across Brooklyn. We are committed to helping you if you’ve been hurt due to others negligence.
Our firm has recovered more than $150 million in verdicts and settlements for our clients. Call (212) 279-2000 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.